Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Greatest Gift of All? Family

Like clockwork, every mid-December I find myself making a 7 hour drive down to south Florida to spend a few weeks with family for the holidays. During these trips, most of my time is spent sleeping, shopping, visiting old friends, and spending time with family. As I've gotten older, the presents seem to matter less, and the company I'm surrounded by has started to matter more.

I remember a time when the only thing I wanted was to be older and independent, but as I've reached this new level of independence and maturity I long for the times when life was simple and carefree. With college passing by quickly, I realize that soon enough these breaks will end and I will start to see my family less and less.

Coming from a small family, I used to see them as a crazy group of people that by some chance I happen to share DNA with. But as we've gotten older, I've come to see them as a crazy group of people that have impacted and influenced my life in the most profound way. I may complain about my "out of this planet grandmother" and my "extremely overbearing father", but the truth is I don't know who I would be without them.

Seeing certain friends come and go over the years has shown me that no matter what trivial fight or disagreements we may have, your family will always be there for you. No matter what.

Christmas, like any other holiday has gotten extremely commercialized, which isn't the worst thing to happen (gifts are always a nice way to end the year :) ). But try not to forget that the best gift of all sometimes is to simply be surrounded by that crazy family of yours.

Hope everyone is enjoying their break, and looking forward to an amazing new year filled with new opportunities.

XOXO, A

No comments:

Post a Comment