Friday, January 28, 2011

Stop and Smell the Roses

That old saying that older people tend to tell you when you're stressed out really makes sense. Over the past couple of weeks I've been going through a lot and I've had a lot of time to think. But taking each day as it comes and recognizing the small things in life that make me happy has made everything a whole lot easier. I may be single now and I may still not have my life figured out but I am alive. I'm alive and healthy. I have, technically, 2 places that I can call home, friends and family who love me. The small things in life that we don't even take the time to notice are what have been keeping me going.

I've always been somewhat healthy since, for a large portion of my life, my mom taught me that organic foods and products are the way to go. But lately I've been eating smaller portions, less snacks, more organic and homemade meals, and working out on the regular. When people tell you that taking care of your body can make you feel better, they're not kidding. I have felt better and I've been happy. Try it out.

The next time you're down or you're bitching about something you don't have, think about the things you do have. If it's a nice day out, go outside for a walk and look around at everything you're lucky enough to enjoy in life. This week I had a reality check when it was brought to my attention just how LUCKY I am. Remember you have running (clean) water, a roof over your head, people who love you, an education, and a chance to go further in life.

It's extremely hard to stay positive when you feel like so much is going wrong but if you're able to, "stop and smell the roses", look around you and see all that you do have.

Carrie Underwood says it best in one of her songs, So Small, "it's easy to get lost inside a problem that seems so big at the time...While you're sittin 'round thinking about what you can't change and worrying about all the wrong things, time's flyin by, moving so fast, you better make it count cause you can't get it back."

I may not have my next step in life figured out yet, but what I'm lucky enough to have is the TIME and resources to figure it out... that's a lot more than other people have & I'm thankful for that.

XOXO, E

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing =] I LUV YOUUUUU!!!
    XOXO, Robin

    ReplyDelete