Sunday, March 27, 2011

It's Always Nice to Know You're not Alone

This week starts the final countdown until Relay for Life here at FSU. As most of my friends know, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was in the seventh grade. She fought and beat the breast cancer and then later was diagnosed with a skin cancer. Thankfully, she also fought and beat that. My mother is one of the strongest people I know and I hope that if I were to ever be faced with something as serious and life-threatening as she was, I would be able to be as strong as she has been and continues to be.

Today during chapter, it was inspiring to hear and see how many people have been faced with similar situations I have been faced with. It is touching to know there are other people close to you who have been through similar battles. Everyone says that cancer affects everybody somehow but I don't know how many people realize how true that statement is. Think about it... even if your life hasn't been directly changed by someone close to you having it, chances are your best friend or your boyfriend or girlfriend or your roommate or your good friend was. Know the facts. Know that cancer is a sensitive subject that everyone should be aware of. Understand that it's random and happens to all kinds of people of every race, in every city, state, and country, to people of every social class. Cancer knows no boundaries. Anyone can have it and it can change anyone's life in an instant.

If you're someone at Florida State reading this, I hope that you'll wear purple this week to show your support for those donating and putting in time to funding any research and ultimately a cure, to show your support for those who have lost someone, for those who are honoring someone, and to honor someone yourself - someone who may be fighting the battle now, someone who may have survived their fight, or someone who may have lost their battle.

If you're not at Florida State reading this, I hope you will make an effort to become more aware about the facts of cancer and help spread awareness about this life-altering disease.

To donate please visit this website: Relay at FSU
And if you want to donate personally to me: Donate to Erika

We all Relay for our own reasons. Mine is my mom.

XOXO, E

No comments:

Post a Comment